The idMEC vision is to be among the most renowned international mechanical engineering research centres in selected topics within energy, transport technologies, and aeronautics.
The mission of idMEC is three-fold:
- to develop both fundamental and applied research,
- to provide education and disseminate knowledge, and
- to engage in the industrial development and provide know-how to the community in the fields of mechanical engineering.
The role of IDMEC is
- to create new scientific knowledge using fundamental research,
- to develop know-how and competences in applied research in order to engage
- in the advanced education of young researchers and engineers,
- and in the scientific dissemination of knowledge and know-how (through publications, conferences, workshops and scientific meetings),
thereby promoting exchanges between individuals and institutions and to foster both research, engineering and education.
idMEC is member of the Associated Laboratory for Energy, Transports and Aeronautics (LAETA). Also part of this Associated Laboratory are the INEGI (University of Porto), ADAI (University of Coimbra), and AEROG (University of Beira Interior).