The Mechanical Design research group is coordinated by Prof. Helder Rodrigues and divided into three research and development areas according to their main research topics. Each research area is coordinated by a senior researcher:
- Prof. José Guedes, coordinates the research activities in Modelling and Optimization of Structures and Materials.
- Prof. Jorge Ambrósio coordinates the research activities in Simulation and Design of Mechanical Systems.
- Prof. Rogério Colaço coordinates the research activities in Structural Materials and Advanced Characterization.
Prof. João Folgado assists the head of the group in the interface with IDMEC/LAETA.
The research group has 6 laboratories:
- Laboratory of Biomechanics of Lisbon: Human movement, led by Prof. Miguel Silva.
- Laboratory of Biomechanics of Lisbon: Tissue Biomechanics, led by Prof. Paulo Fernandes.
- Experimental Mechanics Laboratory, led by Prof. Pedro Amaral.
- Laboratory of Vibrations, led by Prof. Nuno Maia.
- Laboratory of Composite Materials, led by Prof. Luis Reis.
- Nanostructured Materials Laboratory, led by Prof. Rogério Colaço.